Form 49A is the application form for the allotment of Permanent Account Number for Indian residents. Any individual who is a resident of India and wishes to apply for PAN should compulsorily fill the form 49A as it is the application form. One can download the application form online from NSDL e-Governance official website or UTIITSL website. Once the form is filled with the correct details, the applicant can make the payment online and submit the form with the required documents and photographs.
Structure of Form 49A
Form 49A is neatly structured into different sections to make it easier for the customer to file the form. The form has designated spaces for the applicant to affix their photographs on the top corners of the form. The form is designed with 16 components, each component with a subsection that needs to be filled out. Click here to download Form 49A (https://www.tin-nsdl.com/downloads/pan/download/Form_49A.PDF)
Components of Form 49A
Given below is a detailed explanation of all the components present on Form 49A.
- Assessing Officer Code: In this section, the applicant has to mention the Area code, Accounts office type, Range code and Accounts office number
- Full Name: This is the part of the form where the individual mentions their marital status, their first name, last name and their Surname.
- Abbreviation of the Name: The applicant has to abbreviate their name as they would like to see on their PAN card in this section of the form.
- Other Name: In here, the applicant has to mention if they were ever known by any other name than the name mentioned. If they did have another name, the applicant has to provide details such as First name, Last name and Surname of their other name.
- Gender: The part of the form where the applicant has to mention their orientation status.
- Date of Birth: In case of an individual applicant, the applicant has to mention their date of birth and in case of organisations, they have to mention the date of partnership/incorporation/Agreement or Trust deed.
- Father’s Name: The applicant has to mention the first name, last name and surname of their father in this part of the form. This is applicable only to individual applicants including married women.
- Address: The applicant needs to enter the details of their residence address and office address in this part of the form. The applicant needs to be careful while filling in the address and should give the correct details.
- Address of Communication: The applicant has to choose the address of communication between office or residence.
- Telephone number and email id- The applicant has to mention their Country code, State code and telephone/mobile number.
- Status of Applicant: In here, the applicant has to mention if they are an individual, a HUF member, Company, Partnership firm, etc.
- Registration Number: The registration number indicates the registration number for company, firms, LLPs, etc.
- Aadhaar Number: The Aadhaar number should be mentioned if the individual owns an Aadhaar card.
- Source of Income:The applicant should mention from where they draw their income.
- Representative Assessee: The applicant needs to provide the name and address of the representative assessee.
How to Fill Form 49A?
There are some rules that one should follow while filling in Form 49A. Given below are a few things one needs to be wary of when filling in the form.
- Language and Basic Rules: The applicant can fill in Form 49A only in English. There is no provision to fill in the form in any other language other than English. It is also important that the form be filled with block letters and preferably in black ink. Each box provided should be filled in with only a single character, leaving an empty box after each character.
- Photographs: The applicant is required to attach two recent colour photographs in the space provided on the top corners of the form. It is very important to note that the photographs should not be stapled or clipped to the form as this will be the photograph that will be displayed on the PAN card. The clarity of the photo on the PAN card will depend on the clarity of this photo and hence, it is important to provide a photograph with good clarity.
- Signature on the photograph: A signature or a left hand thumb impression should be provided across the photo that is affixed to the left top corner of the form. The applicant should ensure that the signature or the thumb print is on the photograph as well as the form. For the photograph on the right top corner of the form, the signature or thumb impression should be contained inside the box provided and not on the photograph as the photograph on the right top corner of the form will be the one displayed on the PAN card.
- Correct Details: It is important to take your time and fill the form and ensure that you have filled in the correct details. Filling the form with incorrect details might lead to complications during the processing of the form and might even lead to rejection of the application.
- Overwriting: Overwriting should be avoided when filing the form.
- Contact Details: There are some details that one needs to be aware of while filling in the contact details in the form. While mentioning the address, it is important to provide complete details including details of Town, city and Pin code is mandatory. It is also important to mention the STD code for the phone number provided.
How to Apply for PAN Online via Form 49
- To apply for a PAN Card online, visit the website of NSDL where you can fill all the required information.
- Click on the “Apply Now” Tab to fill the online Application form for New PAN card.
- Fill your PAN application form online and click on Submit Button.
- Verify your details and click on Proceed to Payment Button.
- Make a payment. This is a one-time fee.
- After making a successful Payment, download and print your pre-filled application form (along with the Instruction sheet).
- Paste photo, sign, attach documents and post to our address (You will get the postal address on the instruction sheet)
In case you lost your PAN Card, then with the help of PAN number, apply for a duplicate PAN card.
In case you want to make any changes in your PAN card then apply for changes in PAN card (like Name, Father’s Name, Date of birth ,etc).
Who Can Apply for PAN Card
- Any Indian Citizen can apply for PAN via 49A
- The minimum age should be 18 Years
Documents Needed to Apply for Form 49A
- Aadhar Card
- Voter Id Card
- Driving License
- Recent Passport size photographs
- Ration Card Utility Bills
- Pensioner Card
Rs.107 is the minimum fee that you need to pay while applying for a PAN in India. However, during PAN application form submission, an applicant will have to indicate whether a physical PAN card is required. If an applicant opts for a physical PAN Card, then the physical PAN card will be printed & dispatched at the communication address. The e-PAN card in PDF format will be dispatched at e-mail ID mentioned in PAN application form, if the same is provided. If the dispatch of physical PAN Card in India (Communication address is Indian address)
Things to Keep in Mind
- The application must be filled using block letters.
- The form can only be filled in English.
- The application must be filled using blank ink.
- All fields marked with asterisk (*) are mandatory.
- The application should be devoid of any corrections or overwriting.
- Use full names in the first as well as last name section instead of individuals.
- The names should not include any abbreviation, salutation or title.
- Two photographs must be affixed. The user is not supposed to have it clipped or stapled to the form.
- Signature or left hand thumb impression must be provided across the photo on the left side of the form in a manner that the portion of signature/impression is on the photo as well as the form (Thumb impressions must be attested by a Magistrate/Notary Public/Gazetted Officer)
- The proof of address and proof of identity must be identical to the ones mentioned in the form.
- The appropriate document type must be enclosed as a proof.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.What is a Form 49A?
A.A Form 49A is an application form that is used for the allotment of a Permanent Account Number.
Q.What are the documents that you can provide as proof for “Date of Birth”?
A.The documents that can be used as proof for “Date of Birth” are listed below:
- Birth certificate issued by any office or Municipal Authority that is authorised to issue a Birth and Death Certificate
- Order for pension payment
- Marriage certificate
- Matriculation certificate
- Driving Licence
- An affidavit that has been notarised before a magistrate
Q.Can I apply for a PAN with the help of the old Form 49A?
A.No, you cannot. You will have to apply for a PAN using the new Form 49A that has been notified by the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
Q.Can a Form 49A be filled using a typewriter?
A.Yes, a Form 49A can be filled using a typewriter provided that the lettering should be in Capital letters and should also have a good impression on the form.
Q.What if an applicant submits an incomplete Form 49A?
A.Any incomplete Form 49A will be rejected. There are service centres like the IT Pan Service Centre that can assist an applicant with filling up a Form 49A.
Q.Is it necessary to provide your telephone number on Form 49A?
A. The applicant should preferably submit his/her contact details in the form as it would enable the department in contacting the applicant with much ease.