What is a PAN CARD?
Stands for Permanent Account Number(PAN) is an electronic system that is used to gather all tax-related information for company/person in a systematic manner. It is a 10-digit unique identification number, issued by the Income Tax Department of India. It is also used as an identity proof and is the most relevant means of identification for various taxpayers in the country. A PAN acts as the primary key storage of information and also assists in checking on tax evasion.
Eligibility for PAN
The PAN is issued to individuals, companies, non-residents Indians or anyone who pays taxes in India.
Types of PAN Applications
- HUF-Hindu undivided family
Documents Required for PAN
|Individual Applicant||POI/ POA- Aadhaar, Passport, Voter ID, Driving Licence|
|Hindu Undivided Family||An affidavit of the HUF issued by the head of HUF along with POI/POA details|
|Company registered in India||Certificate of Registration issued by Registrar of Companies|
|Firms/ Partnership (LLP)||Certificate of Registration issued by the Registrar of Firms/ Limited Liability Partnerships and Partnership Deed.|
|Trust||Copy of Trust Deed or a copy of the Certificate of Registration Number issued by a Charity Commissioner.|
|Society||Certificate of Registration Number from Registrar of Co-operative Society or Charity Commissioner|
|Foreigners||PassportPIO/ OCI card issued by the Indian GovernmentBank statement of the residential countryCopy of NRE bank statement in India|
How to Check PAN Card Details On Income Tax Website
Follow the steps below to check your PAN Card details on Income Tax Website
Step 1: Log in to your account on the e-Filing website.
Step 2: Select “Profile Settings”
Step 3: Select “My profile”.
The following details will be displayed under “PAN details”:
- PAN Number
- Name of Assessee
- Date of Birth
- Address of Assessee
You can also view your address and contact details in separate tabs.
PAN Card Verification Steps
It is really easy to verify your PAN Card as the steps are simple and quick.
Step 1: Log on to the e-filing website (https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/VerifyYourPanDeatils.html?lang=eng)
Step 2:Click on Verify Your PAN
Step 3: Enter the following details:
- Your PAN
- Your Full Name
- Your Date of Birth( DD/MM/YYYY format)
- Your Status (Choose the Status from the list of: Individual, Hindu Undivided Family, Association of Persons, Body of Individuals, Company, Government, Artificial Juridical Person, Local Authority, Firm or Trust)
Step 4:Enter the Captcha Code displayed on a screen
Step 5: Submit the above details
Below is a screenshot for your reference:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who Can Obtain PAN?
Every person if his total income or the total income of any other person in respect of which he is assessable during the previous year exceeds:
|In the case of||Basic Exemption Limit|
|Resident Individuals of the age of 60 years and above but below 80 years||Rs. 3,00,000.00|
|Resident Individuals of 80 years above||Rs. 5,00,000.00|
How to Apply for a Fresh PAN Card?
Step 1: You can visit an e-filing website
Step 2: Click on Register
Step 3: Select your user type as applicable and click on “Continue“
Step 4: Provide your basic details
Step 5: Fill up the Registration Form and click on “Submit“.
Step 6: An OTP will be sent to the email address and mobile number to verify your registration
Step 7: Enter the OTP and complete the registration process
Step 1: You can visit THE official website of National Securities Depository Limited(NSDL)
Step 2: Click on Apply Online
Can PAN Card Be Made Online?
Yes. PAN can be made online through the following steps:
- Visiting the official PAN – NSDL/UTIITSL website
- Fill the form 49A or 49AA for (Indian/Foreigner) with your details
- Submit the required documents
- Pay the processing fee
- PAN will be dispatched within 15 days
What Things to Keep in Mind While Filing a PAN Form?
Do’s and Don’ts for Filling up PAN update Form
- The form must be filled using capital letters only
- All fields are mandatory
- Mobile number is compulsory to receive any update
- Fill the form in English and the local language used at the time of enrolment
- Make sure the form is filled only with current and relevant details
- Names must not have salutations such as Mr / Mrs / Ms / Dr
- Make sure to fill complete address for the PAN to be dispatched to the address
- Enter name clearly with signature or thumbprints when self-attesting relevant documents
- Submit required supporting documents
- Incorrect information and lack of support documents will lead to application rejection
How to Check Your PAN Status?
- Step 1: Visit the official websites of UTIITSL/TIN-NSDL.
- Step 2: The next step is to go to the PAN section on the website. You can track the status of the PAN application on this page.
- Step 3: The applicant will need to choose the type of application that they are filling in.
- Step 4: Next, they will need to provide a few details along with their 15-digit/9-digit acknowledgment number or PAN Number.
- Step 5: Enter the Image Code (Captcha Code).
- Step 6: After filling all the information, they will be directed to a page that will provide them with the current status of their PAN application.
What is the Cost of Making a PAN?
The cost of a PAN card is Rs.110 or Rs.1,020 (approximately) if the PAN card is to be dispatched outside India.
How to Know Your Pan Card Issue Date?
You can know your PAN Card issue date by looking at your PAN vertically on the right bottom half.
How to Update/Edit PAN Details?
Follow the steps below:
- Go to the NSDL(National Securities Depository Limited) website and select the update PAN section
- Select “Correction” in existing PAN data
A copy of (Proof of Identity/Proof of Address) supporting documents is required. However, you can also visit an e-filing website for the same and login to your account.
How to Know the PAN Number by Name and DOB?
The process is really simple and quick. You simply need to visit: https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/VerifyYourPanDeatils.html?lang=eng
What Other Details are Included in the PAN?
- Name of Assessee
- Date of Birth
- Address of Assessee
What If My PAN Card is Lost?
Worry not. Apply for a duplicate PAN card online.
Step 1: Login on to NSDL website
Step 2: Fill the form 49-A( Indian Citizen) or Form 49-AA(foreigner)
Step 3: Make the payment online for a duplicate copy of your PAN card
The PAN will be dispatched within 45 days.
Can I Track My PAN Transactions?
The Income Tax Business Application (ITBA) has now enabled tracking facility for transactions made with PAN for calculation of tax purposes.
Is There Any Penalty on Carrying More than One PAN?
As per provisions of Section 272B of the Income Tax Act, 1961, a penalty of Rs.10,000 can be levied on possession of more than one PAN.
How Long is The PAN Card Valid?
The PAN is valid for a lifetime.
What is the Customer Care Number for PAN Card?
The Income Tax Department or NSDL or UTIITSL can be contacted on the below numbers:
The Income Tax Department:1800-180-1961
For more queries on PAN, you can visit: https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/pan/pan-index.html