Universal Account Number, commonly known as UAN is a unique identification number allotted to a working professional. This account number not only helps in the identification but also keeps your money, information, and assets safe. If you don’t know how to generate UAN number, activating UAN is simple and quick at the website of EPF India. In just a few steps, you would be able to activate your 12-digit identification number hence and reap the benefits of the same in the future. Your UAN comes with many privileges and benefits like provident fund, online passbook facility, partial withdrawal, etc. And, once you link your UAN with Aadhaar, you are entitled to enjoy plenty of other benefits also.
How to Generate/Activate UAN Number Online?
Step 1: Log on to the UAN portal
Step 2: Under ‘Our Service’, Click on ‘Employee Tab’
Step 3: Click on Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)
Step 4: Click on ‘Activate UAN’ in the right-hand side of the menu
Step 5: Select your state and EPFO office from dropdown menu and enter your PF number/member ID along with the other details such as name, date of birth, mobile no, captcha code
Step 6:Click on Enter ‘Get Authorization Pin’
Step 7:You will receive a PIN on your mobile number. Enter the PIN and click on ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’
Step 8:Your Universal Account Number will be sent to your mobile number
What is UAN?
UAN stands for Unique Identification Number, which is a 12-digit identification number, issued by the Ministry of Labour and Employment. It is assigned by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) to you and your employer by virtue of which each of you contributes your respective share in EPF. A member can have one UAN during his working period, where all EPF accounts are linked with his UAN.
If an individual has worked in multiple companies, his EPF Account Number and Member ID will also change but his UAN remains the same. In the case of two UANs, the member should inform his employer as well as the EPFO instantly to deactivate the old UAN and corpus will be transferred to a new PF account.
How to Know Your UAN Status?
An individual can easily know his UAN status online at the official website of EPFO. In just a few steps, you can know the status of your UAN online without any hassle.
Step 1: Visit the official website of EPFO
Step 2: Click on Employee Tab and scroll down the page til Services
Step 3: Click on Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)
Step 4: Step 4: Click on ‘Know Your UAN Status’ in the right-hand side of the menu
Step 5: Fill in all the mandatory details
Click 6: Click on Get Authorization Pin
Step 7: You will receive a PIN on your mobile number. Enter the PIN and click on ‘Validate OTP
Step 8: An SMS will come to your mobile number, updating about your UAN status
How to Link Aadhaar with UAN?
Recently Government has made it mandatory to link aadhaar with UAN just to improve things systematically and for better security. Aadhaar being the most valid and universally accepted identity proof helps in the authentication of an Indian citizen. Thus, the Government has made it mandatory for all pf account holders to link aadhaar with their respective pf account.
Step 1: Go to official website of aadhaar
Step 2:Click on ‘KYC Updation’ Tab
Step 3:Login to your PF Account
Step 4:Tick the square in front of Aadhaar and enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and name
Step 5: Now click on the “Save” option
Step 6: Your request will be displayed in “KYC Pending for Approval”
Step 7: Once UIDAI confirms your details, your current employer’s name is mentioned in “Approved by Establishment” and “Verified by UIDAI” is mentioned against your Aadhaar
Documents Required for UAN Generation
Following documents are required at the time of UAN registration(it is usually taken from you by your employer when you join the service)
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- Bank Account Details and IFSC
- Any Other Proof of Identity or Address (if required)
Why UAN is Important?
- A member can have easy access to various online services provided by EPFO, once his UAN gets activated such as managing passbook, knowing claim status,etc.
- It acts like an umbrella under which all PF accounts of a member are present. Earlier, it was a big hassle to trace or keep a record of multiple accounts of an employee. But with the introduction of UAN, things have become simpler, easier and systematic.
- With the help of a UAN, a member can transfer his PF from old accounts to the new account online
- A member can anytime withdraw funds using UAN
- Once your UAN is activated, you would be considered as a member, hence access to plenty of services like PF withdrawal requests or submission of PF into your account can be done quickly.
Employee-Specific Benefits of UAN
- You can easily keep a track of all your EPF accounts at a single place
- The employee can avail the facility of viewing EPF passbook online
- Partial/Fully withdrawal can be claimed online
- Transfer of EPF accounts can be done online
- Claim status can also be checked online through the EPF member portal
- Any time you want a PF statement (visa purpose, loan security etc.), you can download one instantly – either by logging in using member ID or UAN or by sending an SMS
- UAN ensures that employers cannot access or withhold the PF money of their employees
- It is easier for employees to ensure that his/her employer is regularly depositing their contribution in the PF account.
How to Check UAN with Employer: An Alternative Way
In case of first employment, your employer will notify you about your UAN. However, due to some reason, if you don’t have a record of the same, you can also find your UAN on your salary slip from the time your company starts deducting your salary towards PF contributions. It is the most common protocol followed by the Indian Companies, making it easy for you to know your UAN right on your salary slip.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.Can you activate UAN via offline modes?
A.UAN registration is done for availing online services provided by EPFO. So, UAN registration is done only online.
Q. Can contractual employees register their UAN and avail online facilities?
A.An organisation with 20 or more employees has to generate UAN for its employees (with a salary of Rs.15,000/- and above). Both contractual, as well as full-time employees, can avail UAN facilities online after activation.
Q. I have not linked Aadhaar with UAN. Can I transfer funds online?
A.You cannot transfer funds or claim withdrawal if your Aadhaar is not linked with UAN. You have to mandatorily seed your Aadhaar with UAN.
Q. I have changed my job. Should I activate my UAN again?
A.UAN has to be activated only once. You do not have to re-activate it every time you switch jobs.
Q. Do I have to pay any fee for UAN registration?
A.No, UAN registration is free of cost and you do not have to pay any fee to activate it.
Q.My personal details are incorrect in the UAN card. How can I get these corrected?
A.You should submit the correct information to your employer, along with relevant proof. The employer will validate and submit this information to the concerned field office. Since the UAN card is dynamic, it will be automatically updated.